Research Progress Related to Scoliosis
The NIAMS continues to support research on scoliosis. Researchers focus on:
- Factors that may cause scoliosis, in an effort to identify targets for prevention and new treatments.
- Types and indications for using braces to treat scoliosis and prevent the curve from getting worse. Research includes studying compliance and timing for brace use.
- Impact of exercise and targeted physical therapy to treat or slow the progression of scoliosis.
- Long-term effects of scoliosis fusion and other surgical interventions.
- Impact of untreated scoliosis.
For more info
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics
American Physical Therapy Association
National Scoliosis Foundation
National Spine Health Foundation
If you need more information about available resources in your language or other languages, please visit our webpages below or contact the NIAMS Information Clearinghouse at NIAMSInfo@mail.nih.gov. You can also find a variety of information from organizations that are NIAMS Coalition Members.