The Division of Extramural Activities (DEA) serves as a critical resource for our Extramural Programs, responsible for the areas of overall administration and management, scientific review, grants management, and clinical research administration. As a partner in the NIAMS mission, we promote the quality and impact of scientific research by assuring compliance with NIH and NIAMS policies and procedures in a transparent, consistent, fair and ethical manner. Specifically, the DEA:
- Provides leadership and advice in developing, implementing, and coordinating extramural programs and policies.
- Represents the Institute on extramural program and policy issues within the NIH and the Department.
- Provides scientific and technical peer review of applications for grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts.
- Provides Guide liaison leadership and advice on publication of Funding Opportunity Announcements.
- Maintains content of the NIAMS extramural website.
- Provides operational management and support for the clinical research portfolio with an emphasis on safety monitoring and oversight for clinical trials.
- Oversees the National Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Advisory Council (NAMSAC) activities.
- Awards grants, ensuring that applications chosen for funding comply with federal laws, regulations, and policies prior to award, which involves critical communication with the recipient institutions throughout the pre-award, award, and post-award processes.