Research Progress Related to Acne
The NIAMS conducts research to study acne and supports researchers at universities and other organizations throughout the country who are studying acne. Medical researchers are studying acne to better understand the cause and treatments.
Additional areas of research on acne include:
- Treatment options, including new medications and the use of laser therapy.
- Understanding of the inflammatory process in the skin.
- The relationship between the skin microbiome and acne.
- The impact of acne treatment on mood and mental health.
- How the gut flora may play a role in acne.
For more info
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics
Society for Pediatric Dermatology
American Skin Association
If you need more information about available resources in your language or other languages, please visit our webpages below or contact the NIAMS Information Clearinghouse at NIAMSInfo@mail.nih.gov. You can also find a variety of information from organizations that are NIAMS Coalition Members.