Applications submitted for funding by NIAMS undergo a rigorous review process. All applications are initially received by the Division of Receipt and Referral in CSR and then assigned to an Institute and Scientific Review Group for peer review. The majority of applications submitted to NIH are reviewed by the Center for Scientific Review; however, the NIAMS Scientific Review Branch reviews applications submitted in response to NIAMS Clinical Trials funding announcements, training opportunities such as the T32 and K funding announcements, and NIAMS special initiatives. Learn about the review process and the specific review committees that correspond to the various funding announcements.
NIAMS Scientific Review Officers (SROs)
NIAMS SRO’s conduct both scientific and technical peer reviews of grant applications and contract proposals. Their responsibilities include:
- Review applications for completeness and conformance to application requirements.
- Ensure fair and unbiased evaluation of the scientific and technical merit of the proposed research.
- Provide accurate summaries of the evaluation to assist in funding recommendations made by the NIAMS Advisory Council and Directors.
- Serve as the point of contact for applications during the review process.
See a list of NIAMS Scientific Review Officers.
Learn how the review process works; the criteria and scoring used by the reviewers; and the appeals process.
- Peer Review Process
- Peer Review Policies & Practices
- Center for Scientific Review –Resources and Study Sections
- NIAMS Appeals Process
Scientific Review Committees
Find lists of review committees and rosters with accompanying meeting schedules that correspond to your funding announcement or grant topic area.
- CSR Review Group Descriptions
- CSR Study Section Roster Index
- CSR Meeting Schedules for Scientific Review Group Meetings
- NIAMS AMS Special Grants Review Committee (Chartered)
- NIAMS AMSC Clinical Trials Review Committee (Chartered)
- NIAMS Special Emphasis Panels
Visit our FAQs on the Review of Grant Applications.