The Scientific Planning, Policy, and Analysis Branch (SPPAB) assists the NIAMS Director and other senior Institute leaders in their interactions with audiences that are internal or external to NIH. Activities related to these interactions include:
- Collaborating with scientific program staff to identify significant research advances that can be featured in materials for the NIH Office of the Director, Congress, patient advocacy organizations, and the NIAMS Advisory Council.
- Developing policy and programmatic speeches and presentations to scientific, patient advocacy, and Congressional audiences.
- Responding to requests from various internal and external entities, including other NIH ICOs, Capitol Hill, and patient advocacy organizations, as well as HHS and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
- Coordinating many of the Institute's annual reporting processes to key stakeholders, including the Congress, HHS, the White House, and outside interest groups.
- Facilitating NIAMS’ relationship with members of Congress and their staff in collaboration with the NIH Office of Legislative Policy and Analysis (OLPA) and advising NIAMS Coalition member organizations that want to partner with NIAMS on outreach to Capitol Hill.
- Collaborating with the NIAMS Science Communications and Outreach Branch on activities such as the NIAMS Congressional Tour Day for Hill staff, the biennial NIAMS Coalition Outreach and Education meeting, Coalition webinars, and visits from patient advocacy organizations.
- Monitoring and coordinating the NIAMS strategic planning process.
- Assisting with the coordination of program evaluations, scientific roundtables and workshops, and the annual NIAMS Forum for Clinical Mentored K Awardees.