Updated June 4, 2021
NIAMS FY 2021 Enacted Level: $634,292,000
The NIAMS is operating under the FY 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act. The interim funding plan below for research and training grants represents the most current information as of the date cited above; however, many factors occurring throughout the fiscal year can affect the operating policies, thus they are subject to change. For clarification it is always best to check with an appropriate Institute official.
- Competing R01 applications will be paid through the percentile of 12.0.
- Competing R01 applications from early stage investigators will be paid through the percentile of 16.0.
- Competing R21 applications will be paid through the percentile of 12.0.
- A payline has not been set for competing R15 applications.
- Competing R03 applications will be paid through the priority score 29.
- Reductions from direct costs recommended will be approximately 12 percent. No reductions will be taken on applications with direct costs of $100,000 or less.
Noncompeting awards will be reduced by 3 percent from the amount recommended on the previous Notice of Grant Award, in accordance with NIH fiscal policy (as explained in the Notice). Non-competing continuation awards that have already been funded in FY 2021 at 10 percent below the amount indicated in the previous Notice of Award will be partially restored to the 3 percent reduction. Commitments for continuation awards in FY 2022 and beyond will remain unchanged. These reductions are made in the interest of awarding as many new grants as possible, while enabling NIAMS to continue our deep commitment to careers, trainees and early stage investigators, despite the large commitment base for ongoing grants.
- The payline for SBIR applications will be paid through the priority score 20.
- The payline for STTR applications is still pending.
Research Career Awards
- Competing K01/K08/K25 applications will be paid through the priority score 26.
- Competing K23/24 applications will be paid through the priority score 26.
- Competing K99 applications will be paid through the priority score 26.
- Competing research training fellowships (F31, F32, and F33) will be paid through the percentile of 22.
- A payline has not been set for competing research training fellowships (F30).
- Competing institutional training applications (T32) will be paid through the priority score 29.