You are here:
Did you know?
- In exchange for a two or three-year (for Intramural General Research) commitment to your research career, NIH will repay up to $35,000 per year of your qualified educational debt. See NIH Loan Repayment Programs
- NIAMS Faculty List
- Training Opportunities
- Career Development and Outreach Branch
- Core Facilities
- Clinical Protocols
- IRP News and Events
- Office of the Scientific Director
- Office of the Clinical Director
Research in NIAMS Labs
Updated September 25, 2013
Welcome to NIAMS Labs from Dr. John O'Shea, NIAMS Scientific Director
As you will see, our program comprises scientists, physicians, nurses, trainees and administrators who work together to solve basic scientific problems and devise new treatments for arthritis, musculoskeletal and skin diseases.
The Sartorelli Group Shows that eRNAs Promote Transcription by Establishing Chromatin Accessibility at Defined Genomic Loci
The scientists demonstrated that eRNAs control the expression of gene of origin and of co-regulated genes, and contribute to establishing a cell-type-specific transcriptional circuitry.
Dr. Mariana Kaplan Joins NIAMS IRP
The Kaplan's lab goal is to unravel the fundamental mechanisms that lead to the development and perpetuation of systemic autoimmune disorders, particularly systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis, and their associated organ damage.
Steven's Lab Shows the Subunit Folds and Maturation Pathway of dsRNA Virus
The researchers solved the capsid structure and showed that its stepwise maturation is coupled to sequential packaging of three RNA segments. This sets the cystoviruses apart from other dsRNA viruses as a dynamic molecular machine.
Colbert Lab Shows That HLA-B27 Increases the Sensitivity of Monocytes to TNFα Stimulation
The group showed an altered response of cells expressing HLA-B27 to proinflammatory cytokines, which may contribute to the pathogenesis of spondyloarthritis and its unique phenotype through downstream effects involving alterations in bone homeostasis.
NIAMS Faculty List
Clinical and Translational Research
- NIAMS Clinical Trials and Natural History Studies at the NIH Campus
- NIAMS Sponsored Clinical Trials
- For all clinical trials click here
- Kaplan Named Chief of New NIAMS Intramural Branch More...
- James Katz Named Director of the NIAMS Rheumatology Fellowship and Training Branch More...
- NIAMS Postdoctoral Fellow Honored with International Dental Research Award More..
- The 2013 NIAMS IRP Scientific Retreat will take place on June 5-6, click here for further details.