The Science Communications and Outreach Branch (SCOB) partners with NIAMS leadership and members of the Institute's scientific and administrative staff to disseminate the goals and findings of research programs and projects to the public, the media, the biomedical community, and voluntary and professional health organizations. SCOB's many public-facing activities include the following:
- Crafts effective messages and delivers them via the most appropriate communications channels.
- Serves as the Institute’s main point of contact and oversees outreach and interaction with the public; and develops responses to inquiries from the public, scientific community, and the media.
- Coordinates operations of the NIAMS website.
- Oversees creation of evidenced-based informational products, including research briefs, press releases, announcements, e-newsletters, brochures, health information in multiple formats, videos, images, graphics, and social media content.
- Coordinates Institute programming and activities with the NIAMS Coalition (an independent consortium of professional and voluntary organizations that is national in scope), including biennial Outreach and Education Meetings, as well as briefings, webinars, and special events.
- Develops high-quality health information materials with a focus on underserved audiences and people who may have limited English proficiency; maintains a robust Spanish language presence on the NIAMS website and offers health information in several Asian languages.
Public Information Calls (301) 496-8190
toll free (877) 226-4267