The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) held its annual Scientific Planning Retreat on April 23-24, 2012. Specific topics that were addressed included atopic dermatitis; stem cells; and tendon and ligament biology. Attendees also discussed an analysis of the NIAMS clinical trials portfolio and goals for clinical research, as well as ways in which to leverage NIAMS resources in strategic funding collaborations. The sessions were designed to help position NIAMS to both assess and respond to future scientific directions. Background information for each session, as well as summary PowerPoint slides presented to the NIAMS Advisory Council are provided below, and include the key questions that were addressed during each session.
- Slides Presented to Advisory Council (June 2012)
- Atopic Dermatitis — Backgrounder
- iPSC (induced Pluripotent Stem Cells) Opportunities in NIAMS Diseases — Backgrounder
- Tendon and Ligament Biology — Backgrounder
- Clinical Trials Portfolio Analysis and NIAMS Goals for Clinical Research — Backgrounder
- Science Management Forum: Leveraging Strategic Funding Collaborations — Backgrounder