You are here:
Additional information on budget policy and grants funding policies may be found at NIAMS Grant Funding Decisions
Funding Plan Fiscal Year 2008
September 4, 2008 (historical)
NIAMS Operating Level: $508,586,000
Each fiscal year, once an appropriation has been received, the Institute develops an operating plan for the funding of research and training grants. Many factors occurring throughout the fiscal year can affect the operating policies, thus they are subject to change. For the most current information, it is always best to check with an appropriate Institute official.
Research Project Grants
To help ensure the availability of an adequate pool of funds for new and competing continuation awards, the inflationary adjustment for existing noncompeting
awards will be limited to an average of 1 percent. This means most noncompeting awards will receive a reduction of approximately
2 percent below the commitment level, which will be applied to all remaining years of the grant. To review the NIH fiscal policy for noncompeting grant
awards, please see the link below:
NIH Fiscal Policy for Grant Awards - FY 2008
- The payline for competing R01 applications will be through the percentile of 15.0.
- The payline for competing R01 applications from new investigators will be through the percentile of 18.0.
- The payline for R21 applications will be through the percentile of 15.0.
- The payline for the R03 solicitation will be through priority score 160.
- Based on case-by-case review of grant applications by program directors, reductions from direct costs recommended will be approximately 12 percent. No reductions will be taken on applications with direct costs of $100,000 or less.
- A pool of funds has been set aside for selective payment. Applications chosen for select pay are those that do not fall within the current percentile payline but which are deemed to have particular relevance to the Institute's scientific and health priorities. Projects to be funded on this basis are recommended by Institute staff and/or advisory council members. Applicants may not apply for select pay consideration. Final decisions are made by the Director, NIAMS, following staff discussion.
- The payline for SBIR applications will be through priority score 240.
- The payline for STTR applications will be through priority score 163.
Research Career Awards
- K01/K02/K08/K25 applications will be paid through the priority score of 140.
- K23/K24 applications will be paid through the priority score of 158.
- K99 applications will be paid through the priority score of 144.
- Research fellowship applications (F31, F32, and F33) will be paid through the priority score of 180.
- The payline for Institutional training applications (T32) will be through priority score 126.