You are here:
Did you know?
- In exchange for a two or three-year (for Intramural General Research) commitment to your research career, NIH will repay up to $35,000 per year of your qualified educational debt. See NIH Loan Repayment Programs
- NIAMS Faculty List
- Training Opportunities
- Career Development and Outreach Branch
- Core Facilities
- Clinical Protocols
- IRP News and Events
- Office of the Scientific Director
- Office of the Clinical Director
Research in NIAMS Labs
Updated October 28, 2014
Welcome to NIAMS Labs from Dr. John O'Shea, NIAMS Scientific Director
As you will see, our program comprises scientists, physicians, nurses, trainees and administrators who work together to solve basic scientific problems and devise new treatments for arthritis, musculoskeletal and skin diseases.
NIAMS' Scientific Director Elected to Institute of Medicine
John J. O’Shea, M.D., has been elected to membership in the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academy of Sciences. He has "advanced the field of immunology by translating his discoveries into approaches that improve human health," says NIAMS Director Stephen I. Katz, M.D., Ph.D.
Three NIAMS Researchers Named "Most Influential"
Drs. John O’Shea, Yuka Kanno and Arian Laurence have been included by Thomson Reuters in The World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds 2014 report, in immunology, joining the ranks of researchers who are "publishing work that their peers recognize as vital to the advancement of their science" and "on the cutting edge of their fields."
The Kaplan Lab Shows an Additional Proatherogenic Mechanism in SLE
This work identifies neutrophils as important inducers of lipoprotein oxidation, suggesting an additional mechanism for premature vascular disease in autoimmune disorders.
Dr. O'Shea Receives the Drake Medal
Dr. O'Shea, NIAMS scientific director, has been awarded the 2014 Drake Medal from the University of Cincinnati for outstanding and unique contributions to medical education, scholarship and research.
NIAMS Faculty List
Clinical and Translational Research
- NIAMS Clinical Trials and Natural History Studies at the NIH Campus
- NIAMS Sponsored Clinical Trials
- For all clinical trials click here
- NIH immunologist elected to Institute of Medicine
- Science Writer Explains Why You Should (or Shouldn’t) Talk to Journalists
- Commonly Prescribed Blood Thinner Associated with Higher Risk of Post-Surgery Complications