You are here:
Additional information on budget policy and grants funding policies may be found at NIAMS Grant Funding Decisions
Funding Plan Fiscal Year 2006
Updated September 11, 2006 (historical)
NIAMS FY 2006 Operating Level: 503,044,000
Each fiscal year, once an appropriation has been received, the Institute develops an operating plan for the funding of research and training grants. Many factors occurring throughout the fiscal year can affect the operating policies, thus they are subject to change. For the most current information, it is always best to check with an appropriate Institute official.
Research Project Grants
- All noncompeting continuation awards will be reduced by 2.35 percent below the amount indicated for the FY 2006 budget period in the Notice of Grant Award for the previous fiscal year. The amounts indicated for future budget periods will also be adjusted by the same factor.
- Competing research project grant applications will be paid through the percentile of 14.5.
- The payline for R21 applications will be through 14.5.
- The payline for the R03 solicitation will be through priority score 166.
- The payline for R15 applications will be through priority score 150.
- Based on case-by-case review of grant applications by program directors, reductions from direct costs recommended will be approximately 12 percent. No reductions will be taken on applications with direct costs of $100,000 or less.
- A pool of funds has been set aside for selective payment. Applications chosen for select pay are those that do not fall within the current percentile payline but which are deemed to have particular relevance to the Institute's scientific and health priorities. Projects to be funded on this basis are recommended by Institute staff and/or advisory council members. Applicants may not apply for select pay consideration. Final decisions are made by the Director, NIAMS, following staff discussion.
- The average length of award for research project grants will be 4 years.
- SBIR applications will be paid through the priority score of 231.
- STTR applications will be paid through the priority score of 217.
Research Career Awards
- K01/K02/K08/K25 applications will be paid through the priority score of 150.
- K23/K24 applications will be paid through the priority score of 159.
- Research fellowship applications (F31, F32, and F33) will be paid through the priority score of 190.
- The payline for Institutional training applications (T32) will be through priority score 146.